Nov 27, 2011

Today Penn turns 8

Penn Birthday Invite copy
Really I'm a fan of small intimate birthday parties at home with a few of our closest friends and family and some home cooked food. But this year Lucy is due SO close to Penn's birthday that we opted to celebrate early and out of the house.

We went to The Lab, a childrens science lab in Lakewood. IT WAS AWESOME.

The kiddos made gooey things and played with Einstein the ferret. The scientists in charge were funny and in control. And all we had to do was sit back and watch the fun. I made, per Penn's request, Nutella and Cream Cheese brownies and grabbed a bag of veggies and oreos while I was at the store. After the party the kiddos played on the playground across the street. It was a flawless event. Even the weather was amazing.

Big thanks to everyone who came and showered him with gifts and affection.

Penn is eightastic. I like eight. I like Penn. He's smart and funny and reliable and kind hearted. He anticipates the future. He's afraid of the things he should be afraid of and he's proud of the things he should be proud of. He always tries his hardest to be the best. He likes people. He likes to laugh. He likes math. He likes pillow fights and traveling and animals and babies and school and soccer and baseball.

Sometimes he does something totally annoying and I have to groan in my head because that part is me. That annoying part totally came from me. Ugh. On the other hand, Penn and I know one another really well. Our unique relationship is rather close and special. Often I'm surprised because Daniel will understand a situation so much better than I do. He'll know the exact thing that will make him giggle. Like hitting him in the face with a pillow. Or just the right masculine words that will make him feel better when a mom hug doesn't work.

I love Penn. He's the most perfect little boy in the whole entire world. I'm so lucky to be his mom.

CDB_0213cl

CDB_0240cl

CDB_0241cl

CDB_0303cl

CDB_0290cl

CDB_0319cl

CDB_0228cl

CDB_0326cl

CDB_0330cl

1 comment:

cat said...

Where does the time go? Eight! He's growing up to be quite the sweetheart, too. I think you're an amazing mother (from what I read/see/when I met you) and he's lucky to have you. I love that he and Daniel have become close, too.

Totally off topic, but I have to say, every time I see a photo of your father I smile. He has one of the kindest faces in the world and I feel like he's a great person to know. I don't know him at all, but his face just shows it. He's also quite handsome. I think all of this every time you have ever posted a photo of him in the 7 years I have been reading your blog. He just looks so kind and thoughtful.